English as Second Language (ESL)
English as Second Language (ESL):
Level of study: intermediate/upper intermediate.
Lesson #1 – Wednesday September 1st 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM (GMT)
Lesson #2 – Thursday September 2nd 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM (GMT)
Lesson #3 – Friday September 3rd 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM (GMT)
Lesson #4 – Saturday September 4th 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM (GMT)
Lesson #1 – Tenses; conversational v effective speaking; cultural differences in the way English is spoken.
Lesson #2 – Grammar; spelling; punctuation.
Lesson #3 – Writing.
Lesson #4 – Comprehension of a passage.
Duration: 6 hours.
Level: Intermediate/upper intermediate.
Dates: September 1-4
Time: 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
Students who speak English as a second language; students whose first language is English but need tutoring in English.
The objective of this course is to gain confidence in speaking English and understanding the English language better through guided learning and mutual contribution.
Your instructor, Jeremy Smith, has been a certified ESOL Teacher since 2011 and has worked in a classroom setting and online, teaching all abilities from preliminary through to advanced.
- Tenses of the English language – two main ones but thirteen tense constructions and we go over them all. (Incorrect use of tense often shows a lack of knowledge of English.)
- Two truths and one lie: a speaking task.
- Does your grammar let you down? Or maybe it’s your spelling? How can punctuation make your written English more effective?
- Are you a speaker or a writer? We check this out by getting you to write a short story of whatever interests you or a recent occurrence and then reading this story to the class. Will you use formal or informal language?
- A challenge: reading a passage and then answering questions from it – this will require some comprehension and perhaps even some inference work for those more advanced students.
- Developing, teaching and practising English language skills.
- Pointers to be an effective speaker of English.
- Structured lessons aimed at scaffolding English language understanding.